Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pink Okra! (Plus no water and too much heat)

So, my green beans are all dead except for the Henderson's Black Valentines which are struggling to hang in there.  Why?  Because despite watering every day, my beans just couldn't handle 21 days of 100+ degree days and when the temps hit 112 degrees, they all just died.  I was extremely disappointed.  I was growing some really great heirloom varieties that I've lost now.

On to other happy stuff.  My dwarf pink okra has finally bloomed!  These seeds were obtained through Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook (members only).  I have pictures of the blossoms!  I'm going to take pictures of the actual pods too when they come around.  Check them out!







So, they look like hibiscus flowers to me.  But the source for these seeds swears that the pods are edible.  Here's hoping!

That's it for now.  Tonight, I will be making home-made shaving cream.  I'll post pics about that when I am done.

Happy Gardening!
-The Heiress

3 comments: